No matter an organization’s size or complexity, cybersecurity is a team sport. Departments and individuals across the board have a stake in ensuring that assets and data remain secure. Just like a successful sports team, collaboration among the players is essential.
Likewise, the person in charge of a cybersecurity program needs to be able to manage and monitor activities to achieve success. From assigning specific roles to initiating assessments, the right management tools can mean the difference between a winning season or a trip to the showers.
Gain Team Support with Trusted Resources
Using trusted guidelines such as the CIS Controls and CIS Benchmarks from the Center for Internet Security can help obtain buy-in from stakeholders and staff for any cybersecurity program. The Controls and CIS Benchmarks are consensus-developed, prioritized best practices and security guidelines used by organizations around the world to defend against cyber threats.
Using trusted sources can help get your team on board with assessing:
- the current state of your organization’s cybersecurity
- how you stack up with other frameworks you may need to comply with
- how to monitor everything over time
Upgrade for Effective Collaboration
A cybersecurity program has many moving parts. The right project management tool helps save time, prevents errors and redundancy, offers transparency between team members, and effectively measures compliance.
In the past, cybersecurity managers typically had to rely on spreadsheets to keep track of their team’s activities, assignments, timelines, and resources. However, with the increased complexity of creating and managing a cybersecurity program, spreadsheets may no longer be the most effective way to track progress. With continuous manual maintenance and the lack of any automation, something is sure to fall through the cracks.
Using a tool that offers more than a spreadsheet can be a game changer. For example, a company using the CIS Controls can manage their organization’s self-assessment (at no cost) using the CIS Controls Self Assessment Tool (CIS CSAT). The CIS-hosted version of CIS CSAT is a web application that:
- Facilitates collaboration among team members as they track the organization’s implementation of the CIS Controls
- Allows supporting files to be uploaded, including evidence and policy files
- Tracks progress over time and identifies areas for improvement
- Maps to other cybersecurity frameworks and helps demonstrate compliance to auditors
- Compares your organization’s results to the average of your industry
All these would be difficult to manage and demonstrate effectively with the use of just a single shared document.
Collaborate like a Pro
Once an organization sees the benefits of utilizing software for their cybersecurity assessments, the next step is to customize the way assessments are performed. Using the greater flexibility available in CIS CSAT Pro, this process can be optimized to match your organization’s specific needs and preferences. CIS CSAT Pro, the on-premises version (now on v1.5.0), provides all of the benefits of the CIS-hosted version with these additional features and benefits:
- Create multiple organization trees to track organizations/sub-organizations and their assessments
- Tailor user roles to your needs by assigning users to different roles for different organizations/sub-organizations and separating administrative roles from non-administrative roles
- Track multiple concurrent assessments in the same organization
- Easily access your tasks, assessments, and organizations from a consolidated home page
- Save time by using a simplified scoring method with a reduced number of questions
- Decide whether to opt in to share data and see how scores compare to industry average
Whether you are using the CIS-hosted version or the on-premises version, CIS CSAT makes the powerful security guidance of the CIS Controls easier for teams to implement, track, and document progress.
Upgrade to CIS CSAT Pro
Regardless of your organization’s size or resources, CIS CSAT Pro can help you manage your cybersecurity program for the win! CIS CSAT Pro is available only through Membership in CIS SecureSuite, the most comprehensive and cost-effective cybersecurity solution available to organizations today. Learn more about CIS SecureSuite